[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1-2007 Fenestration Areas

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Wed Dec 22 14:38:28 PST 2010

The section of the standard states "Vertical fenestration
areas for new buildings and additions shall equal that in
the proposed design or 40% of gross abovegrade wall area,
whichever is smaller, and shall be distributed on each face
of the building in the same proportions in the proposed
design." I've always assumed that you keep all the windows
from the proposed design and just make them smaller. In your
example since each window would be about 2/3 the proposed size.

Jason