[Bldg-sim] Occupancy

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Dec 8 14:35:21 PST 2010

The topic is kind of broad but I'll take a swing:

-          The ideal "100% occupied" figures and scheduling to use are
those describing actual occupancy in an existing/future building.  In
the real world, energy modelers generally can't get ahold of this
information for new construction.  Real-world scheduling may be readily
available for schools and the like, however.

-          The best "100% occupied" occupancy numbers in lieu of "real
world" would be those already used to develop the HVAC design loads - at
the minimum you know the modeled equipment capacities/airflows will be
sufficient for the resultant interior/ventilation loads.  Your architect
may or may not be the person to talk to to get this information.

-          When the mechanical designer's ventilation/occupancy figures
aren't handy either... a fire plan's space/exit capacity figures, while
inflated to a worst case for life safety purposes, might be okay in a
pinch if you don't have time to develop your own figures, but given
time...

-          ...I would sooner develop my own numbers (play the part of
the missing ME) using the furniture plans and occupancy density figures
(P/1000SF) per ASHRAE Std 62/62.1.  Such figures are often built into
load calc and energy modeling programs for the user's convenience, and
those are a good starting point to refine/round using other resources at
hand.

90.1 Appendix G is (thankfully) fairly simple and "hands-off" when it
comes to how occupancy/scheduling should be handled.  As long as
everything is identical between baseline and proposed, everyone on the
reviewer side should be happy, so the means by which we approximate
maximum occupancies and hourly fractional scheduling is pretty much up
to the modelers.  This is one of those "self-policing" approaches within
90.1:  Skewing the occupancy/scheduling too far in either direction is
not in the best interest for a LEED model, as you will either (A) have
an overly-vacant building with fewer loads for your more-efficient
systems to handle, decreasing the building performance %, or (B) have an
over-occupied building resulting in loads that cause unmet hours the
proposed equipment capacities can't handle.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers