[Bldg-sim] Estimating Energy Consumption Using Spreadsheets

Daniel Croisant danc at ibcengineering.com
Mon Feb 22 13:49:49 PST 2010

Hello,

I've "grown-up" in the time when energy modeling programs always
existed.  I'm curious if anyone that has been in the business for awhile
has any experience using spreadsheets to estimate a building's energy
consumption, and if so, would you be so kind as to share them with me?
I'm not looking to use it on any projects and would not try to hold
anyone liable for any results.  I'm just curious as to how people
tackled the issue of estimating energy usage, other than degree days,
before the popularization of DOE and other energy modeling programs.
Plus I think it would just be fun to play around with what other people
have used.

Thank you in advance,

Dan Croisant

Mechanical Design Engineer | LEED AP