[Bldg-sim] Daylighting Calculations for LEED

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Feb 16 08:30:35 PST 2010

On Tue, February 16, 2010 6:47 am, Tariq Abbas wrote:
> Maybe I was doing something wrong in Dialux, but couldn't for love nor
> money get them to match for the same simple setup.

Interesting. Of course both programs approach light transport simulation
differently and they each have different capabilities in that regard. It's
possible that one of your simulations either taxed one of the algorithms
to the brink, or that you didn't exercise the options enough.

> Both are free tools and I got much better agreement with Relux and
> Radiance IES than with Dialux.

Agreement with what? The implication here is that you had some real
world[TM] data that you were comparing to your simulations, which is very
interesting to me. Is this the case? Did you have some sort of benchmark
data that you were measuring against? If it was a case of comparing two
simulations, I'm afraid it will always be apples and oranges. But I'd be
interested in learning more about what your test was all about!

- Rob Guglielmetti