[Bldg-sim] Estimating Energy Consumption Using Spreadsheets

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Mon Feb 22 20:07:50 PST 2010

Dan:

As much as I LOVE to spend time (billable?) creating complex and clunkly
fragile spreadsheets to meet my own rapid prototyping energy analysis needs,
I feel obligated to caution you to think very carefully about economics
before using heading down a path of using a spreadsheets developed by
'others' as a basis for much of anything. Your time might be better spent
studying and exploring what is 'beneath the hoods of popular and well
documented whole building energy simulation programs.

Having said that, I strongly believe anyone seriously interested in
mastering skills for estimating building energy should have a strong
understanding of the many available tools, and an awareness of the evolution
of those tools. (*How did we get here?)  I can share a few of my favorite
resources developing an understanding of alternatives to 'full blown' 8760
analysis tools and how they work.

1) ASHRAE RP-363: If you are an ASHRAE memeber, consider downloading RP-363
documentation (ASEAM). This text lays out the methodologies for estimating
loads, systems, plants, control strategies and so forth. It's an 'oldie but
a goodie'.

Login -> Bookstore -> Papers and Articles -> Memebers Only Free Access to
Research Projects, Final Reports,

Search for the term "363" - you are looking for this: RP-363 -- Upgrading
Documentation of the Proposed TC 4.7 Simplified Energy Analysis Procedure

Chapter One has a nice section laying out the foundations for some
alternatives to hourly analysis, as well a discussion on limitations. If you
REALLY want to build your own spreadsheet model for estimating building
energy consumption, this book should be in your arsenal.

2) Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the "ARCHITECT'S AND ENGINEER'S GUIDE TO ENERGY
CONSERVATION IN EXISTING BUILDINGS"
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOE/TECH/doe_v1.pdf
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOE/TECH/doe_v2.pdf

These 2 guides were written over 20 years ago and for the ASEAM software. A
suprising amount of descriptive information from these guides continues to
be relevant today . Section 4.2 of Volume one has a nice description if
alternative calculation methods.

Best,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, PE, CEM, CMVP
Vice President of Research and Development
Performance Systems Development of NY, LLC
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
http://www.psdconsulting.com
ph: ( 607)-327-1647

  _____