[Bldg-sim] using TAS for LEED EAcr1

Ben Haytack ben at edsl.net
Wed Jan 20 02:22:16 PST 2010

Hi Xavier,

Tas can be used for LEED certification, as we meet the 'Simulation
General Requirements' outlined in Section G2, p173 of AppendixC-G, and
Section 11.2, p66 of Chapter8-AppendixB of ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard
90.1-2007. The document itself is licensed, but a free version is
available to view online at
http://openpub.realread.com/rrserver/browser?title=/ASHRAE_1/ashrae_90_1
_2007_IP_1280.

My understanding is that USGBC are the adopting authority and have
stated LEED energy predictions must comply with 90.1. In turn, this
requires the software to comply with ASHRAE 140-1 2004, which Tas does.
To demonstrate compliance, it is required that we publish our results,
which we have done and these data are available from our website:

http://www.edsl.net/main/Software/Validation/ASHRAE.aspx

We have not finalised the new front-end (which will be known as the
ASHRAE 90.1 Studio) for 'guiding' a user through the process of a LEED
project, so the user will need to do most of the work themselves using
knowledge of the regulations and the Plant Modelling macro. Tas has been
used this way for LEED projects by other customers, for example Hilson
Moran.

It is hoped that the new software component will be released around the
middle of this year. In the meantime, there is a video preview of the
tool on our website:

http://www.edsl.net/main/Software/DemoVideos.aspx (second link from the
bottom)

Regards,