[Bldg-sim] Small building that wants to get LEED Platinum

James V Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Sat Jul 10 09:35:44 PDT 2010

Dear Modelers,

An A/E client is pursuing a project which wants to receive LEED Platinum for
a 2,000 square foot Subway restaurant.  I don't know Subway's "back of the
house" operations, but this sounds like a small restaurant with very little
cooking, plus "normal" lights and people.

My client thinks that Platinum certification will probably require ~30%
improvement over the Baseline energy use.

My question for you is this:

Assuming that we'll use top notch envelope and lighting systems, what HVAC
system do you think will enable 30% savings for such a small building?
(Forget cost for the moment, just brainstorm!)

Thanks in advance.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW