[Bldg-sim] sizing for baseline case acc to App. G

James V Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Wed Jun 23 16:15:58 PDT 2010

Dear Vinay,

I'm not sure of the rationale for the ASHRAE 90.1 oversizing requirements,
however here are my thoughts:

.         I think the principal engineering rationale for oversizing is to
allow a building to reach its setpoint temperature quickly after a period of
inactivity.  As an example, if a building is inactive during a holiday and
the temperature is allowed to float several degrees lower (in winter), the
additional 25% heating capacity will enable faster return to the normal
setpoint temperature.  Steam heating systems can need even more capacity for
proper warmup capacity.

.         Oversizing is also a common practice as a "safety factor".  Most
load calculation software even has a separate input for adding this "safety
factor".

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW