[Bldg-sim] Modeling a Green Roof

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Jun 25 07:41:29 PDT 2010

Open question:

I've ascribed to the "tack an R / thermal mass value onto a new  layer"
approach in the past... but would appreciate a more nuanced approach if
it could be done quickly enough.

I'm curious:  Does EnergyPlus or any other option/model out there
account the variable shading effects of the foliage on the roof
construction, as a user might define it?  I've speculated this element
could be handled relatively simply in eQuest using a geometrically
adjacent shading surface with an annual fractional schedule, but eQuest
(to my experience) doesn't have a clean approach to account for the
varying thermal mass and insulative properties of soil that varies in
moisture over time...

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER