[Bldg-sim] Lighting Power Density for Labs

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Jun 10 08:06:46 PDT 2010

Vikram/Jorge...

I'm going to take a leap and assume we're talking about EPAct tax
deductions (not credits).

If that's the case, Section 179D (c)(2) of EPAct defines what is meant
by 90.1-2001 in the context of EPAct:

Standard 90.1-2001.--The term `Standard 90.1-2001'

        means Standard 90.1-2001 of the American Society of Heating,

        Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers and the

        Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (as in effect

        on April 2, 2003)

I bring this up because Addendum G (which revised both LPD tables
heavily) was approved by ANSI on August 6, 2003.  My resulting
interpretation has been that, for the purposes of EPAct tax deductions,
the original LPD tables 9.3.1.1 and 9.3.1.2 are to be used (with the
exception of warehouses as defined by the EPAct legislation, of course).

I'd suggest using the 1.8W/SF figure, if you are doing space-by-space.
If you want to use the simpler whole-building method, you may find
University or Healthcare figures to be applicable, based on the nature
of the lab work.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER