[Bldg-sim] Energy Plus - draw holes - convert outline blocks

Chris Yates chris at zed-uk.com
Mon Jun 14 01:14:21 PDT 2010

Hi

I assume that you are using Designbuilder from your question. There is
an online help forum devoted to this software at www.designbuilder.co.uk.
Comments inline.
Remember, it is important to get you're model thermally right and reduce
the number of facets/ surfaces as much as possible.
If you are trying to create complicated geometries then I've found thin
block walls are better.

Regards

Chris

On 13/06/2010 20:08, amelia zargandeh wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have three different basic questions:
> 1 - I have been trying to draw holes on floors where the stairs are
> placed in my geometrical model. But the program does not allow me to
> draw them on the exact place of the stairs.
Thermally speaking, as long as the hole is of the same size and couples
the same spaces then its shape is not as important. If you're using DB
to export to Radiance for lighting analysis then obviously that's a
different matter.
> 2 - I can´t convert some outline blocks into building blocks, as the
> message: failed, appears.
If you've done certain boolean (union, subtract, intersection) modelling
operations sometimes this error occurs. It is usually indicative that
the geometry is a bit too complicated.
> 3 - Is there any specific way of drawing chimneys?
Again, thermally speaking, what is the significance of the chimney? If
it is to take part in an Airflownetwork then there are probably
expedient ways to simplify it. If not, then you may be able to leave it
out of the model completely.