[Bldg-sim] GSHP with Horizontal Heat Exchangers

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Jun 18 12:41:15 PDT 2010

Hi there!

I am not an Energy Plus user at all, but you may be interested to know
of a free program:  GS2000
<http://canmetenergy-canmetenergie.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/eng/software_tools/
gs2000.html>

This is a simple, small program developed by the Canadians that I rely
on to both size and model Ground loop heat exchangers (GLHX).  It's not
as fully featured or user-friendly as I expect some of the for-cost
software packages are out there, but very functional for what it does
cover.  The included help files are surprisingly helpful, by the way.
The basic procedure I use in eQuest is to determine the annual
temperature behavior of the GLHX using a periphery program like GS2000,
then to model a simple lake/well-type GLHX with a custom annual
temperature schedule to match the actual behavior of the GLHX.

If nothing else, it's a handy little tool to know about for design/model
verification purposes =).  Here is a screengrab showing that a series of
horizontal GLHX sub-types are worked into the program for input:

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway