[Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Hrly Solar Data

Justin Spencer jspencer17 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 09:43:03 PST 2010

There are a variety of alternate sources for solar radiation data that are
collected by state and federal agencies.  CIMIS is a great source for
weather data in California, and there is a similar network in Arizona, whose
name escapes me at the moment. We have successfully built weather files
for eQuest using both. You are likely to have a hard time finding
measured direct normal solar radiation data for New Haven -- that's a
difficult measurement to take and there aren't all that many sites (I think
NOAA measures this at something like 50 sites across the US, then there are
various somewhat random research stations that might give you additional
options).  Are you sure you need measured direct normal solar?  That isn't
likely to be any more useful modeled direct normal solar based on global
horizontal solar and date/time/lat/long.

Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you, but if you hunt around, you
should be able to find some horizontal solar data that's not too far off
from your location.