[Bldg-sim] VRV System Equipment Efficiency

Gavin Gui ggui at ers-inc.com
Mon Mar 15 06:54:14 PDT 2010

I agree with Larry. There is no exact system specified in the ASHRAE 90.1 that
matches the VRV system. We used to model the VRV system using the efficiencies
in Table 6.8.1B, however note that these efficiencies are typically for full
load operations, hence it will not capture the advantage of the part load
capability of the VRV systems. I.e. to say, the savings calculated as such
will be typically conservative.

Also note that VRV systems are generally waived from the DOE test procedure
applicable to commercial package air-cooled central air conditioners and heat
pumps (2 systems that I know of are the Mitsubishi City-Multi and Sanyo
VRV-III systems) although they have to comply with the alternate testing
procedure. So just take note of the system efficiencies used for the modeling.

Gavin Gui

Project Engineer

ERS, Inc.

120 Water Street, Ste. 350