[Bldg-sim] 90.1 baseline in EnergyPro v5

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Wed Mar 31 15:33:40 PDT 2010

Hwakong,

My experience with EnergyPro v5 is that the baseline building is not
correctly modeled.  The envelope criteria are often applied correctly,
but HVAC-related metrics such as fan power are incorrectly calculated.
Compounding the problem are report-population errors; it is sometimes
impossible to tell if the simulation is correct but the auto-filled
report is wrong, or if the simulation and report are both wrong.  I know
for certain that fan power is incorrect because it can be cross-checked
with the standard DOE2 SV-A reports in addition to the auto-filled LEED
EAc1 report.  However, other baseline metrics such as those described in
90.1-2007 G3.1.3.4 (hot water reset schedule) and G3.1.3.8 (chilled
water design temperatures) are much more difficult to verify.  I agree
with your assessment that there is virtually no control over the
baseline and would add that there is insufficient control over the
proposed model, too.  To summarize my major complaints:

*         Appendix G is incorrectly applied/report mistakes are normal
and there is no way to fix them

*         There is very little customization available; it is nowhere
near the caliber of eQUEST, EnergyPlus, etc.

*         There are no substantial self-training resources (text- or
video-based)

*         The user group is focused almost exclusively on issues
pertaining to T24 compliance and T24 report errors

*         EnergySoft's support, while responsive, lacks customer service
skills and seems to operate under the assumption that all issues lie
with the user.  I also suspect Support has misinformed me about
EnergyPro's capabilities - I was told it can accurately model a DOAS
with heat recovery, but how can this be if it is built on the DOE2.1e
engine?  There's no way to verify accuracy if I cannot parse hourly
reports.

In short, the only value I see in purchasing EnergyPro (outside of T24
compliance) is the incorporation of VRV products.  Once VRV is
incorporated into other software, my firm plans to discontinue using
EnergyPro for the reasons above.

Regards,

Dakota Kelley

Telios MEP Engineers