[Bldg-sim] OPEN FOAM

Simon Rees sjrees at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 05:40:51 PST 2010

I and one of our junior research staff have attended the basic and
advanced courses run with SGI. They were useful in that i.) they save
time by speeding up the initial learning curve ii) there are tips and
tricks to learn that are not in the user guides iii) the course
materials are good and I refer to them quite often now. They are
expensive and so whether you decide to go depends on how you value your
time. I decided to learn from the user guide and tutorials and then go
on the advanced course i.e. skip the basic stuff. If I needed to get PhD
students going I would probably, having been on the advanced course
myself, run something similar internally. I don't remember any PhD
students on the course - mostly industry. I highly recommend OpenFOAM
and have found it very efficient in parallel processing compared to
commercial codes.

Regards,

Simon