[Bldg-sim] Unconditioned Zones

Whately, Tyler twhately at moseleyarchitects.com
Thu Mar 4 12:34:00 PST 2010

Caroline,

I agree with Bill's remarks and you should first see if you can define
that space as "unconditioned" per ASHRAE's definition to get out of the
requirement all together.

All,

I wanted to see what others peoples thoughts are when we have these
conditioned spaces and must provide heating or cooling even if we really
do not have them in proposed design per Table G3.1, 10. HVAC system. I
have used the method Caroline mentions of raising or lowering set points
in these "non-existing" systems to reduce or eliminate any effect on
simulation comparison.  This seems like a good approach, just wondering
if anyone else thinks this is a valid way to go about this?  A common
case for us would be a data room, where cooling is only provided or a
mechanical equipment room where heating is only provided and heating
output capacity is above the 3.4 Btu/h-sf.

Thanks,

Tyler Whately, E.I.T.
Mechanical Engineer
LEED Accredited Professional

MOSELEY ARCHITECTS
Architecture. Engineering. Interiors. Planning
3200 Norfolk Street
Richmond,  VA 23230
804.794.7555
FAX 804.355.5690