[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1-2004 and task lights

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 07:22:40 PDT 2010

I have been involved in a couple of projects where the overhead lighting has
been designed to have a low ambient light level, with task lighting provided
for the work spaces.  This is because most people in the offices will be
working at computers, and not need high levels of lighting.

For one or two projects, I included task lighting in the proposed case, but
not in the base case.  I received comments from the LEED reviewer that all
process lighting (including task lights) must be the same between the
proposed and the baseline.  This is regardless of the fact that the presence
of task lights allowed us to reduce the installed lighting power.

Ever since, I've been including task lights equally in the proposed and
baseline cases, and had no comments on this approach.

--
Karen