[Bldg-sim] Interior window creation

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu May 27 15:54:43 PDT 2010

Alan,

To my understanding, you simply cannot put a window on an interior wall.
The best approximation may be as follows:

1.       Keep the internal wall in it's entirety - this will model heat
transfer to the adjoining space correctly... if it's a large internal
window consider adjusting the internal partition's properties to match
the effective thermal mass/U-value.

2.       Create a new external wall, of any construction layers, on top
of the interior wall with the exact (maybe rounded) area of the window

3.       Create a window on that exterior wall with that exact area and
with matching properties to the real glazing with one exception:  Give
it a ridiculously low U-value to effectively eliminate what would be the
modeled thermal transfer interactions with the exterior.

4.       Assign window shades to model the solar shading effects of the
adjacent space (ceiling/walls).

Best of luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.