[Bldg-sim] EnergyPlus Single Sided Natural Ventilation

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:03:25 PST 2010

Ross,

Sorry I can't be of more help than pointing down a couple of avenues
that you may have already ventured. But here goes:

It is worth searching the archives, then posting a message to the yahoo
support group:
Many of the DOE team are on there regularly - more so than this mailing
list. *hushed voice* they all seem to be overly obsessed with Equest on
here...

Also, you could try investigating the example files with names
containing *airflow*.idf in the .\Eplus\ExampleFiles directory. There is
an excel file in the same directory that gives you an overview of the
various models.

Setting up E+ for natural ventilation appears a little tricky to me.
I've never done it apart from using the Designbuilder interface and
cannot comment on bi-directional flow at present.

Thanks

Chris

On 16/11/2010 07:36, Harding, Ross wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to work out how to investigate the impacts of single
> sided natural ventilation of a space through an opening. It seems to
> me that energy plus can only investigate cross flow ventilation even
> though energyplus can model bi-directional flow through a single
> opening. It appears to me that it requires two openings in all cases.
>
> I am also wondering if I can then model two openings (one at high
> level, one at low level) on the same facade.
>
> Can anyone help me understand the capabilities of energyplus for
> single sided natural ventilation?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ross

Chris Yates C Eng MCIBSE