[Bldg-sim] historic weather files for model calibration

David Reddy david.j.reddy1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:09:48 PST 2010

Aaron-

The question "are model results significantly impacted by the difference
between historic weather data and performance-period data" is a complex
one, however, here is an approach that may be helpful if you need to
construct your own custom weather file.

You can purchase historical weather data available from NOAA station
data from the NCDC <http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/ncdc.html>.  However,
these data sets do not include solar radiation data and often need some
QC work (remove extraneous observations, fill gaps, etc).  In the past,
I have also downloaded weather data from the EnergyPlus
<http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/weatherdata_download.cfm>
site in IWEC format, and converted to .bin using a combination of the E+
weather data processor and EPW conversion tool available on the DOE-2
Website <http://doe2.com/index_Wth.html#eQ_WthProc>.  However, although
a great deal (a FREE service), in my experience, this data can have gaps
that are too large to fill with the algorithms NREL prescribes, which
then leads you to either piecing this together w/ some other data
source, or, only evaluating the model performance over the periods you
have data for.  For many of my projects, I need a complete year or more,
so the E+ method was not ideal.

I recently created some DOE-2 .bin weather files using the following
approach, using data formatting/calculation procedures automated in
MATLAB, and then the "DOEWth.exe" utility (an older, command line
program also available from DOE-2.com) to generate a .bin weather file.
Once automated, this process can be completed in a relatively short
period of time. The following is a brief explanation of the process I
used that may give you some ideas:

1)  Downloaded NOAA data (Integrated Surface Data) for closest site.

2)  Cleaned data of extraneous points and filled gaps in data using NREL
<http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/pdfs/weatherdata_guide_34303.pdf>
filling routines.  There is usually always one or more observations
recorded for every hour, however, in many cases one or more of the
variables you need for the simulation weather file may not have been
reported.

If you can obtain measured solar data for your location, skip steps 3-5

3)  Used the Zhang-Huang solar model (discussed in the E+ engineering
manual) to estimate total horizontal solar radiation with custom model
parameters developed using least-squares regression to TMY3 data.  In
this case, I assumed TMY data was more or less "true", however, for one
station data I worked with, I noticed some cloud cover observations did
not appear to be consistent the reported solar radiation data.  However,
the custom coefficients yeilded better results than the default
coefficients reported in the E+ literature when I compared the model
output to a short sample of actual measured solar radiation data I had.

4)  Used another model to determine the diffuse solar radiation
component from the total global radiation.  In my case, I used a custom
model developed for the Pacific NW (published in a thesis) however,
there are many similar models developed from various datasets.  Orgill
and Hollands is a popular model, although they are all very similar.

5) Once you have the two solar components above, direct normal solar
radiation can be readily calculated.

6) With all of the necessary data now assembled, format into the TMY2
format for processing into a .bin file using the DOEWth utility.  Using
the DOEWth output summary file and a weather file plotting program, like
D-View, you can "inspect" the measured data to make sure it matches what
you expect and aligns with daily or month averages more readily available.

A few notes:
- The DOEWth utilty does have format methods that will calculate solar
data, however, I choose to pre-process the solar data using the solar
radiation models I preferred, which leads you to using the TMY2 format
method.
- I did not calculate illuminance data since my project did not include
daylighting controls.  There are models available for calculating
illuminance, and the DOE-2 program may use a model to estimate it from
solar radiation data (need to brush up on this section of the engineers
manual to confirm this).
-  Related to the above comment, there are many different models out
there for calculating solar radiation/illuminance data from other
measured parameters. I choose the above because I felt like the models
best captured the variables that I thought were important, and to
lesser degree, I could readily implement them in my programming.  Other
than comparing these models to actual TMY data, I have not rigorously
compared these model to others available, so you may want to explore
others.
- For any source of weather data you pursue, I would emphasize reviewing
how data is filled and non-measured variables are calculated (i.e. what
models were used).

I just realized this post may use the word "model" a record number of
times, but hope you find it useful.

David Reddy

360 Analytics
Building Energy Analysis Consultants
mail:	12354 16th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
office: 206.420.7918
mobile:	206.406.9856
web:	www.360-Analytics.com