[Bldg-sim] conversion 3D dxf to gbXML

Harris Poirazis Harris.Poirazis at arup.com
Tue Nov 23 08:02:37 PST 2010

Julian,
We have been working in a pretty complicated (geometry wise) project and we have managed to export .gbxml files to be imported in Design Builder using AutoCAD MEP.
However, there was an issue in DB with the number of vertices in each node (if I remember correctly could not handle more than 3 vertices per node for a building block). We went around this problem by importing it as outline block then cutting it accordingly, then converting it to building block, then adding holes and finally merging the adjacent zones. Long process but eventually it worked. If your geometry is simpler it would not be that difficult.

Best regards,
Harris Poirazis

Harris Poirazis
Engineer

Arup
13 Fitzroy Street  London W1T 4BQ  United Kingdom
t +44 20 7636 1531  d +44 20 7755 4546
www.arup.com