[Bldg-sim] LEED - Exterior Lighting and Parking Garage Lighting

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Nov 23 11:38:46 PST 2010

Hey Brian,

For LEED:

Parking garage lighting is something you simply have to include (not
subtract out) in your models (90.1-2007, TG3.1.6.e).  Give it
scheduling/controls and installed wattage to match your true design in
the proposed model.  For the baseline model, review the sub-notes in the
spreadsheet provided for EAc1 documentation first - you need to
calculate the allowable wattage minus any difference in the
nontrade-able sums... I can't think of how to phrase that more clearly
so I'm suggesting you check that item out yourself to avoid any mixups
=).

I believe the wording of 90.1-2007 locks out the opportunity to
demonstrate an "above and beyond" exterior lighting control scheme (I've
done that in the past for 90.1-2004 modeling)... But I'm not 100% sure -
it may be worth your time to compare your actual control scheme(s)
against what would be required as mandatory provisions in chapter 9.

As an example: you might be able to schedule some of your exterior
lighting loads differently if you have photocells turning off otherwise
24/7 lighting around your open garage's exterior perimeter, as I don't
believe 90.1 requires this.

MNECB on the other hand is something I've never dealt with in my career
here in Kansas... so I can't comment to that ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers