[Bldg-sim] ECB Vs Appendix G

David Eldridge dse at grummanbutkus.com
Tue Nov 30 04:45:40 PST 2010

The purpose of the ECB method is to show pass/fail compliance with 90.1 due to trade-off within the building - for example where a prescriptive measure couldn't be met.  The answer is that the proposed design uses less (or more) energy cost than the base.

Appendix G is intended to provide a percentage improvement over a wide range.  It is designed to provide a comparison against a "standard baseline" instead of ECB which is intended for trade-offs within what might largely be a prescriptive compliance option.

Obviously there are many similarities between the two and some chance for overlap.  But think Appendix G for demonstrating performance, and ECB for code compliance, knowing the procedures for each are tweaked to be more effective for the respective goal.

-DSE

Sent from my iPhone