[Bldg-sim] EnergyPlus V6.0 Released
linda at fortlawrie.com
Mon Oct 18 15:47:34 PDT 2010
EnergyPlus Version 6.0 Available
The latest release of the EnergyPlus building
energy simulation program, Version 6.0, is now
available in versions for Windows, Linux, and Mac
operating systems. A few key new features
include: significant speed increases -- up to
25-40% execution time reduction in most
simulations, life-cycle cost calculations,
Transformer model, modeling of CO2
concentrations, enhanced Green Roof (EcoRoof)
model, enhanced convection coefficients. We have
updated and extended capabilities throughout the
existing building envelope, daylighting, and HVAC
equipment and systems portions of the program.
EnergyPlus V 6.0 is available at no cost from the
EnergyPlus web site: www.energyplus.gov.
OpenStudio plugin for Google SketchUp: The
OpenStudio is a free plugin for the
GoogleSketchUp 3D drawing program. The plugin
makes it easy to create and edit the building
geometry in your EnergyPlus input files. The
plugin also allows you to launch EnergyPlus
simulations and view the results without leaving SketchUp.
EnergyPlus Example File Generator: A Web-based
service is available that creates and runs
EnergyPlus input files for simple models of
commercial buildings. The input files (and annual
results summary files) are sent to your e-mail
address as attachments. This is a pilot project
and is currently made available only as a BETA
service. You can access the service and customize
the characteristics of the building you want to
model on the EnergyPlus Example File Generator Application.
The set of example input files now includes
full-blown models of typical new construction
(drawn from the DOE Commercial Reference
Buildings project). Also included is a real-life Hospital sample.
What's New in Version 6.0?
The highlights improved and new features are displayed by category.
* Significant speed increases, up to 25-40%
execution time reduction in most simulations,
depending on specific features used
* Revised reference building examples (formerly benchmark buildings)
* New detailed 130-zone hospital baseline and low energy example files.
* New dataset for life cycle costing with
regional U.S. fuel escalation factors.
* Doubled number of refrigerated cases in refrigerated case data set
* Zone lists supported in most internal gains,
infiltration, ventilation, thermostat, and demand
manager zone name fields to apply a single input object to multiple zones.
* New lookup table object allows alternate
performance input format to eliminate the need
for regression analysis, can be used in place of
existing curve objects, and can create curve objects.
* Windows and Daylighting
* New reporting of pre-calculated hourly daylight factors.
* Allow glazing defined with spectral data to be
used with between-glass shades and blinds.
* Window 6.3 (fenestration modeling software)
will be able to export EnergyPlus IDF segments for window modeling.
Zone and Surface Models
* New surface heat transfer convection
coefficient options, including adaptive model,
many new correlations, and user-defined equations.
* Movable outside insulation, with transparent
insulation material (TIM) capability, added to
conduction finite difference model.
* Ecoroof model now has two moisture diffusion
calculation methods - simple and advanced.
* Natural and Mechanical Ventilation
* New comprehensive modeling of CO2
concentrations in zone air, including internal
emission sources and ventilation controls.
* New simplified model for interactions between
mechanical ventilation, infiltration and duct leakage.
* New separate sizing factors for heating and cooling.
* Enhanced Fan Coil model to allow constant
water-flow capacity control with multi-speed and variable-speed fan.
* Enhanced inputs for variable volume fan minimum power rate.
* Enhanced reheat coil sizing.
* New component model for central fans with
load-dependent power calculations accounting for
fan pressure rise variations, duct static
pressure reset, and fan, belt, motor, and VFD efficiency variations.
* Enhanced hot water coil model with variable UA
resulting in significant improvement in hot water flow rate calculations.
* New basin heater model added to the single
speed, two speed, multi speed and multi mode DX coil models.
* New multi-cell feature added for three types
of cooling towers: single speed, two-speed, and the variable speed.
* New HVACTemplate support for heating/cooling
sizing factors, VAV minimum flow rate options, VAV terminal unit controls.
* Multiple refrigeration systems can now share a single condenser.
* Refrigeration condenser fan models enhanced
and added input for minimum air flow rate.
* Refrigeration condenser output enhanced to
identify recovered energy used internally for defrost and for other purposes.
* New transformer model for electrical power service and on-site generation.
Controls and User Functions
* New dual-max control for VAV reheat terminal
units with reverse acting damper and hot-water coil.
* New maximum supply air temperature limit for VAV reheat terminal units.
* New averaged setpoint managers allow control
of supply temperature and humidity ratio based on
requirements of multiple zones.
* New setpoint managers that allow control of
supply air humidity ratio of a central system
serving multiple zones based on the critical zone
humidification or dehumidification requirements.
* New All-Off equipment operation scheme option
added for plant and condenser loops.
* Weather variables added as energy management system (EMS) actuators.
* New life cycle cost calculations.
* New reporting of EER and IEER (in addition to
SEER) for DX cooling coils with air cooled condensers.
* Enhanced SQLite output to include error file content.
* New EP-Launch option to run multiple
simulations simultaneously, taking advantage of
multiple processors (Windows platform only).
* Enhanced output file access in EP-Launch (Windows platform only).
* IDF Converter (Transition GUI) can now save intermediate versions.
* Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
* Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 and above, Redhat 5.4 and above)
* Mac (10.5, 10.6)
* EnergyPlus V 6.0 has been tested on all of these platforms.
* ParametricPreprocessor executable added to Linux and Mac distribution.
* DElight simulations added to Linux and Mac distribution.
And many other enhancements and speed improvements throughout.
EnergyPlus Training Workshops
We will continue to offer training
workshops. For more information, please see: http://www.gard.com/training.htm
EnergyPlus Weather Data
Weather data for more than 2000 locations
worldwide are available on the EnergyPlus web
If you know of other weather data for your
country that you'd be willing to share with the
EnergyPlus user community, please contact the
development team at energyplus-support at gard.com.
A helpdesk system has been set up for managing
EnergyPlus user support requests. The helpdesk
system includes a download area, a knowledge base
and troubleshooting area. To submit new support
requests (tickets) or search the knowledge base,
please go to energyplus.helpserve.com. You may
also submit new issues, files and reply to
tickets via e-mail at
EnergyPlus-Support at gard.com. This address has
been linked to the helpdesk since early May
2008. This is the best way to get your specific EnergyPlus questions answered.
Building Energy Simulation User News
Want to keep up to date on EnergyPlus and other
building simulation tools? Subscribe to the
bi-monthly electronic newsletter for users of
EnergyPlus, DOE-2, BLAST, GenOpt, SPARK, and
Energy-10. See http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/un.html
Join the free e-mail list for users of all
building energy simulation programs. Ask other
knowledgeable simulation program users your
questions--about EnergyPlus and other simulation
for information on joining this email list.
The EnergyPlus Team
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Bldg-sim