[Bldg-sim] Negative pressure for EQ cr 5

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Wed Oct 6 12:57:21 PDT 2010

I've documented many EQc5s and have never been asked to prove anything.
For what it's worth, back when I used Contamw for stair pressurization
calcs, even a modest airflow of about 200 CFM per 3 foot door created
pressure differences of 0.1-0.15 in.  That's on the order of 25-30 PA.
So as long as you're in the range of 50 CFM per door, you'll be OK
(assuming the door undercut and crack are the only openings into the
room).

This is a major generalization, and there are a lot of parameters that
would need to be included to accurately calculate, but it helps me sleep
at night knowing 50 CFM / door usually meets this credit.

And Karen, I don't follow why you would steer clients away from this
credit.  Putting full height walls around janitor's closets and print
shops and negatively exhausting them is a good thing, right?

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200