[Bldg-sim] "Horses mouth" question.

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Mon Oct 11 14:47:03 PDT 2010

John,
Appendix G may or may not be a meaningful reference for  your boss but here goes.
In 90.1-2007, Table G3.1 allows roofs with reflectance greater 0.70 or more and remittance greater than 0.75 (per testing standards) to be modeled as having a reflectance of 0.45.  I presume the difference there is initial vs. maintained.  Baseline and other roofs are to be modeled with a reflectance of 0.30.

In eQUEST/DOE-2, absorptance is a Construction property while emissivity is a Surface property.
As Bill noted absorptance = 1 - reflectance, assuming no transmission (opaque surface).
The help section also has values for different properties.

External shading by buildings, PV panels, etc should also be considered.

Paul Riemer
Dunham