[Bldg-sim] Baseline and Proposed HVAC system

amit bhansali amitbhansali7 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 08:58:39 PDT 2010

Hello all,
There are two things that are confusing me right now:
1. I am trying to understand a comment that we recieved from GBCI regarding
the HVAC system that we used to model one of our projects. It is a existing
building with AHU's, Chillers, Electric Heat and FPB's with a square footage
of about 90000sf. I understand that the according to table G3.1.1B , the
HVAC system should be Type 6 and should have a direct expansion type cooling
and not a chiller for the baseline building. However, since the existing
building already has a chilled and the proposed would have a new more
efficient chiller, shouldnt i model the baseline with a chiller as well
since the existing building already has a chiller. Does anyone have
experience with this?
The renovation in the building is a major one.

2. Since the building is more than 5000sq ft , it has a mandatory
requirement of having occupancy sensors/motion sensors installed in the
baseline case. Now again, the existing building didnt have any motion or
occupancy sensors and did not have the LED lighting as in proposed building.
But since having the sensors is mandatory , do i not get any categpry for
having occupancy sensors? Also, if the occupancy sensors are to be modeled
should the percentage reduction in LPD to account for it in the simulation
from Table G3.2 be taken into consideration in Baseline as well as proposed
which would essentially mean that i would have no energy savings for
lighting?!!

Your help is highly appreciated.

--
Thanks

Sincerely,
Amit Bhansali, M.S. , EIT
Command Commissioning, LLC
8410, Sterling St
Irving, TX  75063

Office :(972)-929-1199 (Ext:328)
 Mobile: (+1)972-207-5180
             (+1)405-312-1047

www.command-cx.com
www.godparents.in
Please do not print this e-mail unless necessary