[Bldg-sim] EPAct tax credits for private non-profits and multifamily

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Sep 17 14:44:17 PDT 2010

Hi David,

1.       Off the cuff (I haven't delved into non-profit owners
specifically) - I'm pretty sure the ability for a building
owner/representative to re-allocate calculated deductions as it's
defined applies only to property owned by the (paraphrasing) "Federal,
State, or local government entities."  I'm pretty sure this is spelled
out in the 2008 IRS notice.  On the same token, I'd anticipate any
designers claiming re-allocated deductions from non-gov't building
owners of any sort may have some trouble, as the IRS hasn't explicitly
allowed them to do so.  A possible interpretation by an IRS auditor in
that case may be that you're trying to swindle a building owner out of a
benefit explicitly intended to reward them first.

2.       I would advise caution regarding any residential projects,
again off the cuff without looking it up...  EPAct is much, much more
than efficient commercial building tax deductions, and I could
definitely see potential for a problem if any overlap occurred with
local/state/federal residential-specific tax breaks being pursued
simultaneous to the section 179D commercial tax deductions you're
referring to.  I'd advise re-visiting the original 2005 EPAct
legislation to see if there's any clarification regarding what exactly
is "commercial" for the purposes of section 179D.

That's my take, hope it helps!  I'd be interested to hear your
conclusions when all's said and done,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER