[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1 Baseline building question

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Wed Sep 22 16:25:13 PDT 2010

The project has 4 rooftop units, and one ERV that provides OA to the
four roof top units.  Except the ERV only provides 50% of the minimum
OA for each of the four rooftop systems.  DOE2.2 and DOE2.1e do not
seem to handle heat recovery in a make-up air system using the
OA-FROM-SYSTEM command.  The way I typically handle this arrangement
is to prorate the heat recovery effectiveness and the ERV fan power
to each of the 4 roof top systems.  The 4 rooftop systems have
typical OA % for an office building - less than 50%.  My
interpretation of 90.1-1999 Section 6.3.6.1 is that the ERV has more
than 5000 cfm and more than 70% OA (the ERV is 100% OA), therefore
the Budget building ERV requires heat recovery at 50%.  To model
this, the Budget building will have prorated heat recovery at the 4
roof top units - again because one can't properly model a make-up air
system with heat recovery using equest (DOE2.2) or DOE2.1e.

Does this make sense?

And thanks for all the help provided by this group!

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3.
Tel.  416-203-7465