[Bldg-sim] SITE PLAN MODEL

Nathan Kegel NKegel at hga.com
Wed Sep 29 12:43:29 PDT 2010

My opinion:

There are many tools that would be appropriate for this task.  eQuest,
TRACE, EcoTect and Green Building Studio, the plug-ins for Sketch-Up
from EnergyPlus and IES VE, etc.

For something this high level (conceptual pre-design and planning), I'd
personally lean toward using one of the plug-ins for Google Sketch-Up
(assuming you can get a conceptual site model in Sketch-Up).  Sketch-Up
allows for quick construction of a site and for visually impactful
presentations.  Since this is so high level with very few (if any)
design decisions actually having been made, the "black-box" nature of
these programs is acceptable for comparing alternatives.  Obviously as
the design progresses, the value of these tools diminishes.  Each of
these plug-ins is also free - and Sketch-Up is free as well.

I prefer the VE plug-in over the EnergyPlus plug-in because it allows
for zones to be constructed first - then assigned to a system and
analyzed.  The EnergyPlus plug-in required the masses be drawn with the
energy model in mind.  If you're working with an architect who uses
Sketch-Up regularly, the VE plug-in (likely) more closely resembles an
actual workflow for conceptual pre-design work.

I'd also take into consideration which tool I am more comfortable with
(don't know your experience level in energy modeling).  The plug-ins are
probably the easiest to learn in a short amount of time.

You can find YouTube tutorials for both the EnergyPlus and IES VE
plug-ins.  These are probably a good place to start if you want to go
that route.

Nathan Kegel LEED AP

HGA   Architects and Engineers
Direct 612.758.4335