[Bldg-sim] Do I Include Baseboards in the ASHRAE 90.1-1999 Budget Building?

Greg Leskien greg at zonengineering.com
Fri Apr 29 07:20:35 PDT 2011

Good morning,

I'm in the process of carrying out a simulation using a budget building based on ASHRAE 90.1-1999. In the proposed building, 75% of the annual heating load is met by single zone, gas-fired, constant volume roof top units (with DX cooling). The remaining 25% of the annual heating load is met using electric baseboard heaters. The budget building uses system types 11 (packaged rooftop air conditioner, CV, DX, fossil fuel furnace). I'm wondering what to do with the electric baseboards in the budget building. Do I keep them in just as they are in the proposed building (I.e. same capacities), or do I delete them altogether and force the rooftop units to meet 100% of the annual heating load? ASHRAE 90.1-1999 appears to be silent on this issue.

Thanks and kindest regards,

Greg Leskien, C.E.T.
Project Manager | Zon Engineering Inc.

363 Edwin Street | Kitchener ON N2H 4P5
T: 1-888-338-6363 x702 | F: 1-888-448-2605
C: 1-519-998-0232 | greg at zonengineering.com<mailto:greg at zonengineering.com>