[Bldg-sim] eQuest - Model verification

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Apr 28 12:03:18 PDT 2011

Katherine,

The questions I would have for you (or your client) are:

*         Is this an existing building, or something in the design
phase?

*         What is the model going to be used for?

*         Is there something magical about the 1% number?

*         1% of what? Annual electrical consumption? Annual gas
consumption? Both? Monthly electric/gas consumption? Monthly/annual
electrical demand?

*         Why remove the plug loads? Even if everything else is modeled
perfectly, plug loads are typically 10% or more of annual electrical
consumption but can be all over the place.

*         "Easily adjusted" by whom? Does your client want you to hand
them a model and let them make all subsequent adjustments?

Even if you are an expert energy modeler, and there is monitored energy
data available for the building down to the individual electrical panels
or broken out by end use (lighting, plug loads, individual HVAC units
etc.) you will be hard-pressed to get to within 1% on a month-by-month
basis. Even 5% month-by-month is difficult. Sure, you can tweak to your
heart's content to get a model to match annual electric consumption
within 1% based on prior year's utility bills but to maintain a
calibrated model to that tolerance after that would require a lot of
work.

I suggest searching the bldg-sim and equest-users archives for
information about weather files.

Oh, one more question - how much money does your client have?

Regards,

Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP

Mechanical Engineer

 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114            F: (585) 325-6005

wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com           www.pathfinder-ea.com
<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P