[Bldg-sim] DOAS and baseline OA

Anne Juran juran at summerconsultants.com
Tue Aug 16 05:33:26 PDT 2011

I'm curious how everyone is handling the OA for Appendix G simulations when
using a DOAS in the proposed system.  We have a design that is DOAS + FCU
with a  total OA of 8,000 CFM.  When you run the OA calcs for this same
building with a VAV system (the baseline), the total OA required to meet
Standard 62 is 39,000 CFM.  This difference in OA represents a significant
energy savings (in climate zone 4A), yet Appendix G requires the OA volumes
to match.  It does not seem "fair" to me that the proposed case cannot take
credit for design choice when it comes to OA.  I feel like Appendix G should
make an exception for DOAS.  Am I missing something?  Is there a way around
this?  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Anne