[Bldg-sim] LEED 2009 Modelling - Electric Vehicles and Rainwater Cisterns

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Wed Aug 10 10:56:17 PDT 2011

I bring up the case of indoor electric vehicle
charging stations such as one might find in a
huge refrigerated warehouse - I toured a Loblaws
facility.  The vehicles, batteries and charging
systems were the latest and most efficient the
designer could find.  The quote I heard was "20%
more efficient, less heat, etc.".  The
ventilation requirements for this type of
vehicle/charging system are also less than for
industry standard equipment.  Therefore, there
are significant savings if there is a baseline
for this equipment and I think the whole point of
including such equipment would be to calculate
the savings over industry standard and apply
those savings as process energy credit.  At
least, that is how I would make my case if I were submitting for LEED Canada.

At 11:08 AM 10/08/2011, David Eldridge wrote:
>Water pumps I see as a building system that
>could be included.  Other energy users related
>to plumbing would  be part of the building energy.
>
>Electric vehicles though I think you could make
>a case for as an external load to the project
>subject to your ability to quantify the
>usage.  For example if you had a submeter and
>billed the fleet manager for the electricity I see this as a pass-through.
>
>Without a submeter it might be harder to
>justify, as you'd never really know how much it
>was, and your subsequent utility bill reporting would include this energy.
>
>Let me suggest a parallel - If there was a
>diesel tank on-site for fueling trucks it wouldn't be included.
>
>But it would be tricky to document/report if
>that same tank fed the heating system, if you didn't log the usage for trucks.
>
>-DSE
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Aug 10, 2011, at 9:06 AM, "Dahlstrom, Aaron"
><<mailto:ADahlstrom at in-posse.com>ADahlstrom at in-posse.com> wrote:
>
>>Aaron –
>>

>>I agree with Kevin – my understanding is, if
>>the load is served frrom the building meter and
>>located within the LEED boundary, it should be included in the LEED model.
>>

>>Both items would show up in the design and the
>>baseline, as process energy consumers.
>>

>>There is a tradeoff between water efficiency
>>and energy efficiency that is made when a
>>building decides to install its own water
>>pressurization pumps. I’m not sure if your
>>municipal water supply system has the
>>controllability to reduce its water
>>pressurization pumping energy based on your use
>>of recovered water –“ but I haven’t had the
>>chance to work on those systems before, and
>>I’m not sure how those systems are assembled.
>>

>>If there are any efficiency measures on the
>>rainwater pump that would be considered above
>>“documented industry standard”, you could
>>look at documenting a reduction from the
>>baseline via an Exceptional Calculation method.
>>

>>That said, I imagine that the key thing for
>>both loads would be determining a realistic
>>schedule of use. You might find that the
>>electric charging station in particular has a
>>high peak power draw but a relatively low
>>consumption, due to limited hours of use.
>>

>>In line with Kevin’s suggestion – if the
>>electric vehicles are replacing fleet vehicles
>>that woould “traditionally” be sourced from
>>another fuel, there may be an opportunity to
>>claim a different baseline and show savings.
>>But if they are just for visitors / employees,
>>you might just use a baseline that is identical to your design.
>>

>>Aaron Dahlstrom , PE, LEED® AP
>>
>>In Posse – A subsidiary of AKF| 1500 Walnut
>>Street, Suite 1414, Philadelphia, PA 19102
>>
>>d: 215-282-6753| m: 267-507-5470| In Posse: 215-282-6800| AKF: 215-735-7290

> [...]
” (pg. 286 of LEED Canada 2009).

>>I have no trouble including computer equipment,
>>elevators and exterior lights but we also have
>>a rainwater cistern pump and electric vehicle
>>charging stations.  I’m not sure if the
>>electric vehicles should be considered
>>“building energy components”.  As well,
>>both technologies actually save energy
>>elsewhere (gasoline/diesel and water utility
>>pumping power) so I don’t think we should be
>>penalized in our % energy cost savings by
>>adding these two energy uses to both reference
>>model and proposed model.  Any thoughts on these?
>>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Aaron
>>

>>Aaron Smith, P.Eng
>>
>>LEED® AP BD+C, M-ASHRAE, Mechanical Engineer
>>
>><image001.jpg>
>>
>>t: (902) 422-7393
>>
>>f: (902) 423-4945
>>
>>e: <mailto:asmith at mreng.ca>asmith at mreng.ca
>>

>>The electronic message contained herein is
>>private and confidential, intended only for the
>>recipient(s) specified. If you have received
>>this message in error, please delete it and
>>notify us immediately.  Any accompanying files
>>are supplied as a matter of courtesy only.  The
>>data are without warranty of any kind.  Any
>>person or business making use of the data is
>>responsible for confirming its accuracy and
>>completeness.  M&R Engineering Ltd. is not
>>responsible for edited or produced versions of this digital information.
>>

>>This e-mail may contain information that is
>>confidential, privileged or otherwise protected
>>from disclosure. If you are not an intended
>>recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or
>>redistribute it by any means. Please delete it
>>and any attachments and notify the sender that
>>you have received it in error. Unintended
>>recipients are prohibited from taking action on
>>the basis of information in this e-mail. E-mail
>>messages may contain computer viruses or other
>>defects, may not be accurately replicated on
>>other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted
>>or interfered without the knowledge of the
>>sender or the intended recipient. If you are
>>not comfortable with the risks associated with
>>e-mail messages, you may decide not to use
>>e-mail to communicate with In Posse.

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3.