[Bldg-sim] DOAS and baseline OA

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Tue Aug 16 06:37:30 PDT 2011

Michael alludes to the system ventilation efficiency (E_v).  Per ASHRAE 62, It and the zone air distribution effectiveness (E_z) vary based on system configuration.
When ASHRAE 90.1 says the minimum outdoor air must match I take that to mean the base R_p and R_a values not necessarily the resultant V_ot values.  Similarly when LEED says DCV must be compared against the minimum ASHRAE values I take that to mean R_p and R_a values as well.
I assert that it is appropriate to calculate separate E_v and E_z values for the each system in baseline and proposed models, which  can lead to ASHRAE 62 multi-zone calculations for the baseline systems.

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP BD+C
Associate / Mechanical
DUNHAM