[Bldg-sim] Building envelope average energy demands

John Eurek redmodeler at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 14:25:25 PDT 2011

David,

I did the same thing with one of my buildings.  I made "perfect insulation" which in Trace is simple deleting all the walls.  The result was an increase of energy use.  Since the internal loads were so high, too much insulation wouldn't allow the heat out.  (I compare it to a wrestler running around in plastic trying to cut weight.  It may be winter, but you get real hot real quick.)

So in the case of the super insulation increasing the energy use, what % of the total energy usage can I contribute to the skin load?  Would it be a negative percentage?