[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1 unmet load hours

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Fri Dec 2 08:16:54 PST 2011

Jim,

I concur with your understanding of how to define unmet load hours. Your
hotel poses challenges for meeting the unmet load hours requirement, as
you described.

Unfortunately this can be a difficult problem to solve, especially in
the proposed design where the actual HVAC system design might not be
able to handle the diversity of loads.

There have been a lot of good suggestions in the forums about how to
reduce unmet hours. I have a few general suggestions (by no means an
exhaustive list).

*         For zones that are not controlled by a thermostat, or are only
loosely temperature-controlled by being next to a tightly-controlled
space, change to "unconditioned" or relax the thermostat setpoints as
Chris suggested.

*         Use a lower heating setpoint for spaces that are heating-only
and not kept "comfortable", like stairwells, mechanical/electrical
spaces etc.

*         Tweak the systems, especially at the zonal level - flowrates,
capacities, supply setpoints etc., while taking care not to deviate
substantially from the actual design.

*         Back off from aggressive nighttime setbacks and/or model a
warmup period in the MIN-AIR-SCH if the unmet hours are when the system
fans first come on.

*         Adjust space load amounts and schedules (occupancy, misc equip
and lighting).

*         Use air walls where appropriate to even out loads/temperatures
between zones.

These suggestions assume that your systems are operating in the model as
you intend, and that we're not talking about thousands of unmet hours.
Most of these suggestions need to be applied to both the baseline and
proposed models and it is easy to lose track of changes if you're not
careful.

Some people advocate increasing the throttling range in problem zones
(in both baseline and proposed models), which always works because you
are redefining what "unmet hours" are. My opinion is that this should be
done only as a last resort since you are not actually improving the
modeled system performance.

Regards,

Bill

  <mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>