[Bldg-sim] Chiller size and number of ASHRAE 90.1

Alex Chapin alexc at 2rw.com
Mon Dec 12 13:42:34 PST 2011

Process cooling loads need to be modeled with a separate chiller in the baseline and modeled with the same size, number, and efficiency as the process cooling chiller. If, however, an exceptional calculation is pursued then the proposed is modeled as designed and the baseline as that which is standard practice, thus providing an opportunity to take credit for a more efficient chiller than what is standard practice. Same approach applies to the process cooling loads themselves (i.e. you can take credit for more efficient utilization of process loads and efficiency of rejecting the process heat). I would recommend searching LEED Interpretations & Addenda Database for the official ruling on similar approaches so that you can learn what LEED is looking for as justification of documenting the basis for standard practice. https://www.usgbc.org/leedinterpretations/LILanding.aspx

Alex Chapin, EIT, LEED AP BD+C
Energy Engineer

2rw Consultants, Inc.
100 10th St. NE, Suite 202