[Bldg-sim] window opinions?

Nathan Miller nathanm at rushingco.com
Fri Dec 16 08:15:45 PST 2011

Aaron,

It seems like the reviewers are just looking for SOME documentation of how
you established the U-Values for glazing. This is a LEED reviewer comment
from a recent project I was working on. Note that this was a LEED-NC v2.2
job, hence the reference to ASHRAE 90.1-2004:

"Please provide additional information to confirm that the framed assembly
U-value was used for the Proposed Case windows (e.g. showing that the
whole window assembly has been tested by NFRC, or verifying that LBNL
Window5 calculations have been provided for the whole assembly, or
verifying that the frame effects are captured within the energy modeling
software), or revise the model referencing ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Table A8.2 if
needed."

For this particular project, there was no NFRC or Window5 data available,
so we responded by giving them results both for the case where we entered
the center-of-glass U-value and defined the frame effect in eQUEST, and
then also the results for using the terrible default window assembly
U-values from 90.1 Appendix A. It made about a 5% swing in the energy
consumption, so obviously we hope they COG + frame effect results.

Nathan Miller, PE, LEEDRAP

Senior Energy Engineer/Mechanical Engineer

D 206-788-4577

 <http://www.rushingco.com/> www.rushingco.com