[Bldg-sim] irs 179d guidelines

Reba Schaber Rschaber at PHMECH.com
Fri Dec 16 18:12:10 PST 2011

Patrick,
I found the NREL guidelines.  Here's my interpretation.  The guideline states EPAct 2005 specifies the use of 90.1-2001, but Appendix G was developed to work with 90.1-2004.  As a side note, didn't 90.1-2001 first get published without an Appendix G?  I have Appendix G has Addendum e to 90.1-2001.

Back to NREL.  Table 7 modifies 90.1-2004 so it is the equivalent to 90.1-2001.  It seems there is no option but to use the formula in Chapter 6.  When 90.1-2001 was first published there was no baseline fan power (table g3.1.2.9).  So does Chapter 6 help or hurt the energy savings?

~Reba

-----Original Message-----
From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org [mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr.
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 3:56 PM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org; bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Bldg-sim] irs 179d guidelines

i'm currently looking at the requirements for modeling a building to demonstrate energy savings per the epact 2005/irs 179d requirements & am trying to determine the proper method for calculating baseline fan power.  has anyone else done this yet?

per the NREL manual, Appendix G Section, Wording Changes and Corresponding Sections in Standard 90.1-2001:

"G3.1.2.9 Supply Fan Power:  The Reference Building model fan power shall be determined based on § 6.3.3.1 in Standard 90.1-2001"

in 90.1-2001 section 6.6.3.1 is the section with the table that lists how to calculate the allowable system fan power.

my question is, "for epact 2005/irs 179d energy modeling is the correct supply fan power to use in the baseline building the same as the allowable fan system power?"  this seems odd when comparing it to
90.1-2004 and having to calculate a baseline fan power (table g3.1.2.9) in lieu of using the fan power limitation (6.5.3.1) and plugging that number into the equation Pfan listed in section g.3.1.29.  it sort of just seems too easy.

regards,
patrick