[Bldg-sim] Savings calculations for CI project

Rathna Shree rathnashreep at yahoo.in
Sun Feb 20 21:56:14 PST 2011

Hello,

Our client is occupying the 8th floor of a G+8 building. The central
plant is a combination of Air cooled and water cooled chillers. The
conditioned area of the project area alone is 45,000 sqft and segment
area is 322,000 sqft. I simulated using the project area-segment area
method. I used the existing conditions for segment area in both base
case and proposed case. I modeled the project area as per ASHRAE 90.1
2007. Now the problem is with the savings calculation. As per LEED, the
formula is (Base case-Proposed Case)/(Base case*(project area/segment
area)). Since the project is occupying only 1 floor, the project area/
segment area ratio comes up to 0.139 and because of this the savings
goes higher than 100%. In other words, we will be multiplying the
savings by 7 times, if we calculate the savings by the usual formula,
(Base case- Proposed case)/base case. Kindly guide how to proceed. Thank
 you.

Regards,
Rathnashree