[Bldg-sim] Modelling for retrofit ECM's

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Feb 8 11:10:15 PST 2011

This thread appears to have tangented into 3+ different directions... if
you have a new inquiry please start a new  email chain =)!

Fransisco - you should refine your questions by specifying which program
you intend to use, or if your inquiry is of the "is there a program that
can do this?" variety.  Air walls in eQuest/DOE2 behave as Suwon is
describing.  They are a type of interior partition and will not model
heat transfer to the exterior, regardless of their geometrical location.

Chris - I use eQuest/DOE2 primarily.  Please refer to recent discussion
on [eQuest-users] where I attempted to sum up air wall behavior in both
layman's and complex terms (discussion attached).

To my understanding DOE2/eQuest models do not model heat transfer
explicitly by either convection or radiation - all heat movement within
the model is calculated as a series of direct (conductive) transfers
between zone surfaces (interior and exterior) on an hourly basis.  Air
walls are unique type of surface in that they have zero mass but a
relatively low conductivity (by default, approximately the same as a
single layer of 3/8" Gypsum), however this value can be modified as may
be desired.

To Rohini - My existing model calibration experience is probably limited
relative to others contributing - but I can share the general
observation/advice that your models can only ever be as accurate as your
gathered data, or lack thereof.  An important corollary I want to
emphasize is that models ultimately serve a purpose, and that it's
important at the beginning of any project to identify that endgame.
Sometimes it's getting LEED points, sometimes it's advising new or
retrofit design for existing envelopes, HVAC, and/or lighting, sometimes
it's because there's academics who simply want a model they can pick up
after you to tweak to perfection as time goes on...

Defining where the model is headed in terms of intent will permit you to
define a degree/deadband of acceptable accuracy.  Without doing so, you
may lose sanity/sleep to the beast before realizing you don't have a
finish line defined.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER