[Bldg-sim] Solar Collector Design

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sun Feb 27 07:35:31 PST 2011

Hi!

> For component level modeling challenges like constructing custom
> solar thermal collectors, what sort of simulation tools would others
> recommend to evaluate, i.e. heat transfer through different types of
> enclosure materials into the receiving fluid, or different reflector
> shapes?

Hm, I am curious about replies here. Wouldn't it make sense to break up
the problem? Reflector design mostly would be about radiative transfer,
so optical simulation tools would lead to an assessment of the
irradiance on your absorbing surfaces. The second step would be to find
the heat flow inside the piping as well as between pipes and surrounding.

Cheers, Lars.