[Bldg-sim] Solar Collector Design

Marcus jones.0bj3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 00:33:41 PST 2011

As Lars pointed out, if you are indeed investigating a concentrating
collector (with a reflector), then the problem is probably more complex than
modelling a flat plate collector due to the importance of radiative
transfer. It looks like CoDePro only models flat plate collectors, but I've
never used it. There might be other tools out there, but if the design is
truly custom, you might need to develop your own computer model in something
like EES (which is exactly what CoDePro is) or Matlab, etc.

Regardless, the most complete reference for solar collector modelling is the
book "Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes" by Duffie and Beckman.

Cheers,

Marcus
--
Marcus Jones, LEED AP, M.Sc.