[Bldg-sim] energyplus, WindowGas

chandan sharma chandansharma101 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 06:43:23 PST 2011

Hey Joerg,

If you look into the Engineering Reference document that comes up with
EnergyPlus installation, you'll find that under "Window Calculation Module"
title, it says that

The primary Window calculation is a layer-by-layer approach where windows
are considered to be composed of the following components, only the first of
which, glazing, is required to be present:
Glazing, which consists of one or more plane/parallel glass layers. If there
are two or more glass layers, the layers are separated by gaps filled with
air or another gas. *The glazing optical and thermal calculations are based
on algorithms from the WINDOW 4 and WINDOW 5 programs* [Arasteh et al.,
1989], [Finlayson et al., 1993]. Glazing layers are described using te input
object WindowMaterial:Glazing.
Gap, layers filled with air or another gas that separate glazing layers.
Gaps are described using the input object WindowMaterial:Gas.

Suggest you look into the Engineering Reference document and if you have
further questions regarding "Window 6" software, you can redirect your
questions to *WindowHelp at lbl.gov* .

Hope this helps.

regards,

Chandan