[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1 - Appendix G - Parking Garages

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jan 17 15:07:19 PST 2011

These definitions came up during review of one of my recent LEED
projects.  For future reference, 90.1 questions may be seen by a group
more keen to respond if you post to the [bldg-rate] list.

I've got a definite position if you'd like to hear:

1. As you point out, per the definition of "unconditioned space,"
parking garages are "...not considered enclosed spaces."  Whether in
design it's actually conditioned or not has no bearing on this
statement.

2. All of the definitions for space classifications, and indeed the
definition for "space," start with "an enclosed space..."  Therefore no
parking garage can be considered "conditioned" or "semiheated," or even
as a "space."

3. This also means by extension (re: section 5.1.2): There are no
envelope requirements for parking garages, as they are not "spaces" of
any classification.

If you reject this approach and instead assert a parking garage can be a
"conditioned space," you'd be forced down a path of assigning identical
heating/cooling systems to parking garage spaces in both proposed and
baseline models, per Table G3.1.1.b, regardless of whether it's actually
conditioned or not.  Things might get hairy if you're only heating or
only cooling (I believe the other would need to match the baseline
serving the rest of the floor/building, as may apply).  I'd only suggest
that requiring heating/cooling of parking garages in all climates seems
odd for an energy efficiency standard - you'd have to explain that one
to me ;).

If you do have heating and/or cooling for a parking garage design, I'd
personally stick with points #1/#2 above and simply model such energies
as a process load alongside any mechanical ventilation systems,
identical in both models.

I personally use eQuest, and prefer to model parking garages as simply
as a series of building shades with a series of process/lighting loads
attached directly to the meter.

All this is my take on the situation.  I think it's pretty defensible,
but there may have been CIR's I'm unaware of to the contrary - not that
precedent matters anymore...

Hope that helps you and others,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.