[Bldg-sim] Is there a point to "virtual partitions"?

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:49:17 PST 2011

Dear Curtis, Gaurav and Cheney

I cannot profess to understand radiation exchange in the depth I really
should. I do however have some experience of energyplus and one thing I
wouldn't want to attempt in it is Virtual partitions. Under most
circumstances its gradient based or node based displacement vent models
are probably superior to the "stacked" volumes approach.

I'm still unconvinced regarding the need for virtual partitions to
denote perimeter zones for the following reasons:

    * The 15ft perimeter in LEED appears to be relating to speculative
      office space that could be subject to fit-out. A fit-out would be
      undertaken with solid partitions. Therefore, why not model with
      solid partitions?
    * If, on the other hand, the perimeter zone requirement relates to
      varying access to daylight, modelling of daylight sensors may
      better serve this purpose.
    * The virtual partition seems to be a rather artificial boundary
      possibly subject to an expensive computational overhead and
      convergence issues.

Finally, I feel these points must also be weighed against the designers
judgement as to whether Air temperature (or Space conditioning based on
Air temperature) will vary significantly across the floor plate.

Best regards

Chris

Email: chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com

Skype: christopher.m.yates