[Bldg-sim] Is there a point to "virtual partitions"?

Cheney chenyu73 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 09:08:35 PST 2011

Hi Chris,

I did not pay attention to the air temperatures in the three equivalent
zone. The original purpose was to test whether those "virtual partition" is
IR transparent. If they were, the overall sensible cooling/heating capacity
would be affected.

Then I looked into those temperatures after reading your email. Basically ,
the temperatures are represented in a 'beautiful' stratified manner. MRTs
are in the same manner, and divergence wise, no significant difference
compared as air temperatures.

I do not expect a simulation engine can trace the complication of the
physical state. The assumption behind the simulation engine is that, air
within the space is well stirred and represented by a single air
temperature. In order to see the stratified effect in some big space or
displacement ventilation effect, we refine the single space and come up with
more sub-space by "virtual partition". Air within each of the sub-zone is
well stirred but they are interacting with each other through the
boundaries, virtual partition.

>From research point of view, simulation is not a convincing tool at all,
even the most robust CFD simulation. I'd rather set up experiment and filed
measurement to explore specific physical state. Project wise, I believe the
assumption is fairly acceptable. Bear in mind, there are many other
assumptions which are rougher than this one but still survive.

Regards,

Cheney

LinkedIN @ http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/yu-cheney-chen/27/637/72b