[Bldg-sim] R-410a & EA credit 4 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jeremy Poling Jeremy.Poling at transwestern.net
Mon Jan 31 11:34:24 PST 2011

My experience has been the same as James - the smaller units typically
have more of a problem, particularly RTUs less than 10 tons.  The
refrigerant charge is high compared to the maximum allowable to get a
total Refrigerant Impact per Ton <100.

Also, I just ran into this on a project as well - there are
"supercharged" chillers on the market that also have high charge-per-ton
numbers.

See Page 210 of the LEED-BDC reference guide for a table showing the
maximum refrigerant charges for typical refrigerants.  For RTUs, 15-year
life, you have to be less than 1.98 lbs/ton and the last I remember only
Trane had a unit at that low of a charge and still met ASHRAE 90.1
minimum efficiencies.

Jeremy R. Poling, PE, LEED AP+BDC